Saturday, July 23, 2016

A Couple of Lessons from the Saddle

I don't exactly know what it was about today that drew me to the keyboard, but as I begin to type it feels good. It feels really good. I thought it would be fair to spend some time discussing what has been a major source of inspiration for me over the last two years and some lessons that I have learned (or relearned) along the way. 

My source of inspiration is The Handle Bar (for a brief description of the Handle Bar see paragraph 3 of my previous blog entry). I have been riding at the Handle Bar for two years and have been an instructor at the Handle Bar for the past year.

I teach a Saturday morning class at 7:25am  so I typically go to bed at 10pm on Friday nights after watching some very relevant Netflix or HBO programming (think season 6 of the Sopranos or season 1 of Orange is the New Black). I wake up around 5:45am to have some coffee, stretch, and listen/dance to a few of the tunes on my morning playlist.

I leave my apartment and walk to the studio around 6:45am. Each week as I walk to the studio, I find myself smiling. I find myself smiling because I am excited that I have the awesome opportunity to share 45 minutes with a group of amazing individuals.  Lesson 1: Surround yourself with amazing people.

Throughout class today (basically during every class) there are moments when you look out into the bike room and you see individuals pushing through discomfort to challenge themselves to be better and stronger. Seeing that inspires me in ways that I am not sure that I can properly describe. The cumulative effect of all of this hard work is a palpable electricity that everyone in the room gets to share. Lesson 2: Without even knowing it, your hard work can inspire others.

I am so happy that I get to start every weekend off with a dose of positivity and hard work.  I don't know what you weekend, week, or month has in store for you, but during that time my hope is that everyone who reads this takes the opportunity to work hard and surround themselves with amazing people.

1 comment:

  1. Bang! He's back and couldn't have said it any better.

    Next post I want it to have something to do with Weedwacker and the post after that something to do with that iPod I finally returned to you.

    ReplyDelete