Thursday, January 19, 2012

It isn’t always about the running!

I looked around and I realized that I was surrounded by a pretty amazing group of people.

I was in the process of cooking a fairly epic meal. It would be my last meal in my 20’s and I wanted it to be something noteworthy. I was attempting three of my favorites (tortellini alla vodka, eggplant risotto, and penne carbonara).

I didn’t realize in that moment that I would be spending the last two hours of my 20’s engaged in two very different (but both very exciting) activities. The 1st was a solo dishwashing dance party. The second was sitting in front of bright 14 inch screen as my fingers moved swiftly across the keys.

I would like to share some excellent realizations that I had during this evening.

  1. Ace of Base is probably the best music to listen to while having a solo dance party.

  1. I was incredibly happy with the life that I lived thus far. The 20’s were a particularly amazing period of time.

  1. It isn’t always about the running. As I looked around at the amazing people that I was with who were sharing great stories, food, and laughter together my mind began to think of all the great friends that I have made along the way and the incredibly family that I was fortunate enough to grow up with and be a part of. Running is such an amazing part of my life and I never take it for granted, but it is incredible to know that if I run a 4:34 for the mile instead of a 4:32 that none of these people are going to think less of me in anyway.
  1. We can never necessarily predict the direction that life will take us, but the more often we practice being the best version of ourselves the easier it is to smile back at the road that we travel on and help others smile as our paths cross along the way.
  1. Chumbawamba is also pretty amazing for solo dance parties.

I hope that whatever circumstance that has led you to reading this blog entry makes you think about where you are in this very moment and all the things, people, and events that have led you to where you are. I hope that in reflecting on all those things you have a great big smile. I hope that you take the time to say something kind to someone who has made you a better you along the way.

Thank you to everyone that shared my last meal of my 20’s with me and anyone that I have ever shared a meal, drink, smile, or a laugh with!

1 comment: